Similarly, can you stop taking thyroid medication once you start?
While hypothyroidism cannot be prevented, you can lead a normal and productive life if you take your medicine as prescribed. Some important things to remember once you start taking thyroid hormone medication include3,4: Do not stop taking the medication even if you feel better.
Subsequently, one may also ask, what are the side effects of stopping levothyroxine?
Effects of Skipping Your Antithyroid Medication
- Debilitating weight loss.
- Dramatically increased appetite and thirst.
- Nervousness, anxiety, panic attacks.
- Heat intolerance, sweating.
- Fatigue or muscle weakness.
- Diarrhea, nausea, and vomiting.
- Menstrual irregularities.
- Goiter/enlarged thyroid.
In the case of Synthroid, discontinuing the medication results in a worsening of hypothyroid symptoms such as those that you listed. A detailed list of symptoms is found in the hypothyroid review article. In addition, cholesterol levels may rise, and heart disease and heart failure may ensue.