Asked by: Aloe Timckehome and garden indoor environmental quality
Can mold in your basement make you sick?
Last Updated: 8th June, 2020
Click to see full answer.
Thereof, how do you know if mold is making you sick?
If your Total Body Burden is high, or you are genetically predisposed to recycling toxins, regular exposure to mold can cause allergy symptoms, such as:
- Wheezing/shortness of breath.
- Watery eyes.
- Runny nose.
- Itchy eyes.
- Redness of the eyes.
- Long standing or frequent sinusitis.
One may also ask, how long does it take for mold to affect you? Under ideal conditions (optimal temperature and level of humidity), it takes 24 to 48 hours for mold to germinate and grow. Typically, the spores begin to colonize in 3 to 12 days and become visible in about 18-21 days.
Correspondingly, is the mold in my basement dangerous?
The Dangers of Black Mold in Basements. Any type of mold in a home can cause serious health issues in those who are at risk but one of the most dangerous types is Stachybotrys chartarum. A basement is also often more neglected than other parts of the house, therefore allowing the mold a longer period to grow undetected
What do you do if you have mold in your basement?
After removing any mold-covered debris, such as dry wall, insulation, carpet or sub-flooring, hard surfaces can be treated with commercial products containing ammonia and bleach. Basement mold removal on tile or linoleum can also be performed with vinegar or a borax and water solution.