Asked by: Dairo Arrojotechnology and computing computer peripherals
Can you use an old iMac as a second monitor?
Last Updated: 29th January, 2020
Click to see full answer.
Keeping this in view, how can I use my iMac as a second monitor?
How to Use iMac As a PC Monitor
- Shut down the Windows PC and iMac.
- Plug the video cable into the Mini DisplayPort connector onyourPC's video card.
- Plug the second end of the video cable into the MiniDisplayPortconnector on the back of the iMac, to the left of theEthernetport.
- Turn on the PC and iMac.
Additionally, can I use my 2017 iMac as a monitor? Apple has definitively stated that new 2017iMacswill not support Target Display Mode, a featurethatpreviously allowed some iMac models between 2009 and2014 touse their built-in display as anexternalmonitor for another Mac connected viaMiniDisplay Port or Thunderbolt.
Similarly, can you use a 2009 iMac as a monitor?
Yes an iMac will work as a screen foraregular PC, but only with 27" models of Late 2009,2010iMacs. If those conditions are met then theiMacsupports what is called Target Display Mode,akausing your iMac as a display.
How do I use my old iMac as a monitor?
Entering Target Display Mode
- Turn on your iMac, and make sure the other Mac isloggedin.
- Connect the Mini DisplayPort or Thunderbolt cable betweenthetwo computers.
- Press Command + F2 on the keyboard of the iMac that you wanttouse as a display.