Similarly, you may ask, does loose leaf tea expire?
All will eventually lose their flavor, and thephytochemicals (primarily flavonoids) they contain will degrade.However, dried tea leaves that are kept dry will not spoil,and as long as they are stored away from heat, water, light andair, the flavor and phytochemical content can be maintained for upto two years.
- 4 Clear Signs Your Tea Is Expired (Or Has Gone Bad)
- You notice a dank, pungent smell coming from your tea.
- You find mold in your tea, even if it's just on a fewleaves.
- All flavor and scent is gone from your tea.
- The tea is over 3 years old and has been opened before.
One may also ask, can you drink expired tea leaves?
Expired tea bags or loose-leaf tea, ifstored properly (we have a guide on storing tea onRateTea if you want more info), will be completelysafe to drink. However, they will often be verybland. Tea, especially black tea, can stayfresh for a very long time if stored in an airtight container awayfrom light.
Let's Have a Look at a Few Tips that Can BeFollowed to Keep Tea Bags in Their Best Quality for about 18to 24 Months. To maximize the shelf life of tea bags(including black, green, white and oolong), they must bestored in a cool, dark place, away from direct heat orsunlight.