Asked by: Cheyenne Zulaibarhealthy living weight loss
Does peritoneal dialysis cause weight gain?
Last Updated: 3rd April, 2020
Click to see full answer.
Keeping this in consideration, what are the side effects of peritoneal dialysis?
Common side effects of Dianeal PD-1 include:
- abdominal pain.
- infection under the skin around a chronic peritoneal catheter.
- catheter blockage.
- difficulty in fluid removal.
- electrolyte and fluid imbalances.
- high or low blood volume.
Also, does Dialysis cause weight gain? Most people on dialysis; however, make little to no urine, because their kidneys are no longer properly removing wastes and extra fluid from the body. Without urination, fluid builds up in the body and can cause swelling, shortness of breath and/or weight gain.
Keeping this in consideration, how do I not gain weight on peritoneal dialysis?
The following are weight-loss diet tips for people on dialysis:
- Be aware of your shopping and eating habits.
- Exercise with your doctor's consent.
- Reduce calorie and fat intake.
- Be aware of your portion sizes.
- Reward yourself.
- After-treatment affects.
- Peritoneal dialysis (PD)
Does peritoneal dialysis make you bloated?
Bloating and weight gain Bloating and weight gain are common complaints while on PD. Some of the weight gain is fluid bloat from the dialysis solution sitting in the peritoneum. Weight gain can also come from the sugar in the dialysis solution being absorbed by the body and lead to extra pounds.