Asked by: Aline Tamargomedical health first aid
How can we be safe from electric shock?
Last Updated: 12th March, 2020
Click to see full answer.
Likewise, people ask, how can you be safe from electric shocks?
Electric shock safety
- Turn off power at the main breaker.
- Call an ambulance.
- Don't touch the victim until you are certain there is no liveelectricity. (Never move someone if they are touching a power lineor other high-voltage current.)
- If the victim is not breathing, begin mouth-to-mouth.
- If the victim has no pulse, begin CPR.
One may also ask, how do you treat an electric shock? Depending on the injuries, potential electric shocktreatments include:
- burn treatment, including the application of antibioticointment and sterile dressings.
- pain medication.
- intravenous fluids.
- a tetanus shot, depending on the source of the shock and how itoccurred.
Secondly, how can you prevent getting electrocuted?
- Never mix water and electricity.
- Pay attention to what your appliances are telling you.
- Install Ground Fault Circuit Interrupters (GFCI).
- 4. Make sure you're using the right size circuit breakers andfuses.
- Protect kids with outlet covers.
What protects us from electric shock?
The GFCI is one device that senses a mismatch in thecurrent in the line and neutral wires. Opens and preventselectric shock. The overcurrent protective device, a circuitbreaker or fuse, are means provided to prevent overheating ofwiring as a result of an abnormal amount of current flowing in awire.