Asked by: Darcie Stoykovcareers resume writing and advice
How do you address a business letter to an unknown person?
Last Updated: 11th March, 2020
Click to see full answer.
Regarding this, how do you address a letter when you don't know who will read it?
Formal letters/emails: Dear Sir or Madam, (you know that aspecificperson will see your letter) To Whom It MayConcern:(you don't know where specifically, your letterisgoing) Dear [name of department], (you know thespecificdepartment, but aren't sure who willseeit)
how do you address a business letter? To write a business letter, start by puttingyourcompany's name and address on the top left-hand side ofthepage. Then, put the date below that, followed by therecipient'sname, job title, and address.
In this regard, how do you address a letter to a stranger?
How to Address a Stranger
- Starting a Business Letter with “DearMr.”“Ma'am” as a polite form of address for womenpleasessome, but draws enraged reactions from others:
- “Ma'am” and Regional Colonialism. NOTE:Nowadays,“ma'am” as a courteous term of address forwomen isregarded as a US Southernism.
What to use instead of to whom it may concern?
Alternatives to "To Whom It May Concern"
- 1. " Dear Hiring Manager"
- "Dear Recruiter"
- "Dear Recruiting Department"
- "Dear [Name of department you're interested in]"
- "Dear [Name of the title or role of the personyou'repursuing]"
- "Dear Customer Service Manager"