Asked by: Babak Greuhome and garden indoor environmental quality
How do you fix your AC when it freezes?
Last Updated: 6th May, 2020
- Unthaw Your Air Conditioner: The first thing you will need to do is let the ice thaw.
- Dry Your Coils: Once the ice has thawed, dry the coils.
- Related blog: How Often Should You Change Your Home's Air Filters?
- Clean or change the air filter on a regular basis.
- Clean the evaporator coils regularly.
Click to see full answer.
Also know, how do you fix a frozen air conditioner?
Here's general troubleshooting you should try to resolve this icy issue before calling a professional:
- Turn off your air conditioner.
- Let your air conditioner defrost.
- Change your air filter.
- Open up all the air registers in your home.
- Make sure none of your furniture or drapes are blocking return vents.
Subsequently, question is, what causes an AC unit to freeze up? A freeze up can also be caused by low refrigerant and improper fan operation. Low refrigerant levels make the coils too cold, and a faulty fan prevents air from moving. Faulty thermostats and drainage problems are often causes of a freeze up.
Similarly, it is asked, how do you unfreeze an air conditioner fast?
Thaw out your AC To thaw out your AC, you need to take two easy steps. First, switch your thermostat to OFF and your fan to ON. This will start defrosting your A-Coil, found inside your home. Give your unit a few hours to fully defrost.
How long does it take to thaw a frozen air conditioner?
For your first step, turn the air conditioning system off and give the frozen evaporator coils a chance to thaw out. You can do this by shutting the unit off at the circuit breaker. Left to its own devices, it could take up to 24 hours for the coils to thaw completely.