Asked by: Viki Borkowskihobbies and interests woodworking
How do you make wood smooth and shiny?
Last Updated: 11th April, 2020
- Sand the surface of the wood with 600-grit sand papertoremove any imperfections and to give the polyurethane agrippingsurface.
- Wipe the surface clean with a rag dampened withmineralspirits.
- Brush clear pore filler onto the wood surface withapaint sponge.
Click to see full answer.
Beside this, how do I get a high gloss finish on wood?
- Sand the wood with 150-grit sandpaper.
- Wipe off the sanding dust using a damp towel or rag.
- Prime the wood with a stain-blocking wood primer.
- Use a foam brush to paint the wood surface with ahigh-gloss,oil-based paint.
- Apply a second coat of high-gloss, oil-based paint afterthefirst coat dries.
Additionally, should I sand between coats of high gloss paint? I also prefer multiple coats of flatpaintas opposed to one goopy, thick coat of highergloss orenamel paint. Apply multiple coats,working in thedirection of the wood grain, allowing eachcoat to dry asrecommended by instructions on thepaint can. Sandwith fine sandpaper betweencoats after theydry.
In this manner, how do I get a smooth finish with polyurethane?
Polyurethane Finish Tip#1: Start With aThickCoating That's not to say you should apply each coatthickly.Four regular coats of urethane applied one over the otheris a goodstarting point. Sand lightly with 240-grit sandpaperbetween coats,then let the last coat dry for at least24hours.
Can you sand high gloss paint?
Before you begin paintingwithhigh-gloss latex, you must prepareyoursurfaces carefully. Scrape any loose paint or wallpaperandsand down rough spots using afine-gritsandpaper.