Asked by: Iuliia Brunnhuberhobbies and interests woodworking
How do you repair a wooden porch column?
Last Updated: 16th June, 2020
- Draw a line around the column about 2 inches above the rotted area and install a temporary brace under the deck, porch, or roof.
- Using a chisel and hammer or a Saws-All, chip out the damaged wood below that mark.
- Use a brush or spray bottle to coat preservative on the exposed bare wood.
Click to see full answer.
Similarly, you may ask, how do I keep my porch posts from rotting?
Here are some ways to protect your columns:
- Don't drill air holes in the bottom of the shafts.
- Priming & Painting the Shafts.
- Placing the column plinth on aluminum plinths or use of synthetic base.
- Use of a Recessed soffit for capital.
- Use copper flashing on capital.
Secondly, how do you keep wood from rotting outside? Tips for Preventing Wood Rot
- Always use decay-resistant or pressure-treated lumber for decks.
- When building an exterior project with wood, stain or paint all sides of each lumber piece before assembly.
- Don't lean anything against your siding, such as old plywood, tools, and ladders.
Secondly, how much does it cost to replace porch columns?
Install ornamental columns Costs. For your project in zip code 98104 with these options, the cost to install ornamental columns starts at $450.08-$630.21 per column. Your actual price will depend on job size, conditions, finish options you choose.
How do you fix dry rotted wood?
The dry rot repair process has six steps: Remove Dry Rot, Spray Fungicide, Apply Wood Hardener, Replace Damaged Wood with Epoxy, Sand Surface Smooth, Protect with Exterior Acrylic Primer and Paint.