Asked by: Yanitsa Igonemedical health diabetes
How do you stop dawn phenomenon naturally?
Last Updated: 5th April, 2020
- Take medication or insulin at bedtime instead of at dinnertime.
- Eat dinner earlier in the evening.
- Get some exercise after dinner.
- Avoid snacks that contain carbohydrates at bedtime.
Click to see full answer.
Thereof, what causes the dawn phenomenon?
The dawn phenomenon is occurs when the body produces hormones that result in raised blood sugars in the morning. It is thought that the body releases hormones that either impair the action of insulin or cause the liver to release extra sugar into the blood.
Secondly, can dawn phenomenon occur in non diabetics? In other words, insulin is there to make sure blood sugars do not go too high. However, if you look closely at the blood sugar readings, there is a slight increase in the morning time. So, in the normal, non-diabetic situation, blood sugars are not stable throughout 24 hours. The Dawn Effect happens in normal people.
Considering this, how can we stop morning phenomenon?
Your doctor may recommend a number of options to help you prevent or correct high blood sugar levels in the morning:
- Avoid carbohydrates at bedtime.
- Adjust your dose of medication or insulin.
- Switch to a different medication.
- Change the time when you take your medication or insulin from dinnertime to bedtime.
How can I lower my morning blood sugar without medication?
15 Easy Ways to Lower Blood Sugar Levels Naturally
- Exercise Regularly. Regular exercise can help you lose weight and increase insulin sensitivity.
- Control Your Carb Intake.
- Increase Your Fiber Intake.
- Drink Water and Stay Hydrated.
- Implement Portion Control.
- Choose Foods With a Low Glycemic Index.
- Control Stress Levels.
- Monitor Your Blood Sugar Levels.