Keeping this in view, how do I know if my starter relay is bad?
Here are some symptoms of a bad or failing starter relay
- Vehicle does not start.
- Starter stays on after engine started.
- Intermittent issues starting the vehicle.
- Clicking sound coming from the starter.
how do you test a starter relay on a car?
How to Test Starter Relays
- Inspect the battery and starter terminals. Verify that they are free of corrosion, oil dirt and debris.
- Follow the wires from the starter solenoid to the starting relay.
- Connect a jumper wire to the positive battery post.
- Reconnect the battery and key switch connections to the relay.
You can also check for resistance by placing the red probe of your multimeter to the ignition circuit terminal and the other to the ground terminal. If the voltage you read is not 12V when the ignition switch is turned on, the starter relay is faulty. Another way to test for resistance by use of a wire jumper.