Asked by: Palmira Vigaraymedical health dental health
Is it safe to drink sulfur water?
Last Updated: 6th June, 2020
Click to see full answer.
Considering this, is it safe to drink sulfur smelling water?
In most cases drinking water that has a strong rotten egg odor, although particularly unpleasant, is perfectly safe to drink. However in some rare occasions the odor may be caused by sewage or other contaminates in a building's water supply, which could cause health problems.
Likewise, is sulfur water good for your skin? Though there are no conclusive medical studies in the U.S. regarding the benefits of soaking in sulfur water, studies in Japan, the Middle East and throughout Europe have shown that soaking in sulfur water can help kill germs and viruses in and on the skin including psoriasis, dermatitis, and fungal infections.
In this regard, can sulfur make you sick?
At low levels, hydrogen sulfide gas has a strong odor similar to rotten eggs. You can smell hydrogen sulfide gas at lower levels than may cause health effects, so smelling the gas does not always mean that it will make you sick. At higher levels, hydrogen sulfide gas can make you sick and could be fatal.
What do you do with sulfur water?
Chlorine bleach can effectively remove medium to high levels (over 6 mg/l) of hydrogen sulfide. The chlorine in the bleach chemically reacts with (oxi- dizes) the hydrogen sulfide eliminating the "rotten egg" odor. Chlorine bleach also reacts with iron or manganese, and disinfects water supplies.