Asked by: Emi Fountainfood and drink cooking
Is it worth having a steam oven?
Last Updated: 15th June, 2020
Click to see full answer.
Consequently, what are the advantages of a steam oven?
Benefits of Steam Ovens
- Time Saving: Smaller cavity, faster preheat.
- Better tasting: Moisture is not lost.
- Healthier: steam helps retain vitamins, minerals and nutrients of food.
- Better quality: Steam preserves color, texture and flavor of produce.
- Reheat quality: Can warm up food without drying it out- saves money on food!
Secondly, do you need a microwave if you have a steam oven? Using a steam oven to reheat food is a great alternative to using a microwave. It allows you to reheat food without drying it out, which a microwave can often do. Steam ovens tend to be much smaller than other conventional ovens, and so the cooking time can be reduced vastly.
Furthermore, can a steam oven be used as a regular oven?
Steam oven cooking is faster than conventional oven cooking, and some steam ovens have variable steam settings you can use when the oven is in combination/convection steam mode. Otherwise you might end up only ever cooking steamed vegetables in your fancy new oven.
How does a steam oven work?
Steam ovens feature a reservoir that must be filled with water for the oven to work properly. Heat from the oven turns the water into steam. Food cooked in steam retains moisture better than food cooked in a convection oven. Steamed food also tends to retain more vitamins and minerals than food that is boiled.