Asked by: Jeanie Alembiktechnology and computing operating systems
What is a bash alias?
Last Updated: 19th May, 2020
Click to see full answer.
Thereof, how do I use bash aliases?
To create an alias in bash that is set every time youstarta shell:
- Open your ~/.bash_profile file.
- Add a line with the alias—for example, aliaslf='ls-F'
- Save the file.
- Quit the editor. The new alias will be set for the nextshellyou start.
- Open a new Terminal window to check that the alias isset:alias.
Likewise, what does the alias command do? In computing, alias is a command invariouscommand-line interpreters (shells) such as Unixshells,AmigaDOS, 4DOS/4NT, KolibriOS and Windows PowerShell, whichenablesa replacement of a word by another string. TheReactOSCommand Prompt also includes the alias commandtoset, remove and show aliases.
Thereof, where is bash aliases file?
Steps to Setting Up Aliases in the bash-shell
- Open your .bashrc. Your .bashrc file is located in youruserdirectory.
- Go to the end of the file. In vim, you can accomplish thisjustby hitting “G” (please note that it iscapital).
- Add the alias.
- Write and close the file.
- Install the .bashrc.
What does bash stand for?