Asked by: Jeanie Alembiktechnology and computing operating systems
What is a bash alias?
Last Updated: 19th May, 2020
Click to see full answer.
In this way, how do I use bash aliases?
To create an alias in bash that is set every time youstarta shell:
- Open your ~/.bash_profile file.
- Add a line with the alias—for example, aliaslf='ls-F'
- Save the file.
- Quit the editor. The new alias will be set for the nextshellyou start.
- Open a new Terminal window to check that the alias isset:alias.
Also Know, what does the alias command do? In computing, alias is a command invariouscommand-line interpreters (shells) such as Unixshells,AmigaDOS, 4DOS/4NT, KolibriOS and Windows PowerShell, whichenablesa replacement of a word by another string. TheReactOSCommand Prompt also includes the alias commandtoset, remove and show aliases.
One may also ask, where is bash aliases file?
Steps to Setting Up Aliases in the bash-shell
- Open your .bashrc. Your .bashrc file is located in youruserdirectory.
- Go to the end of the file. In vim, you can accomplish thisjustby hitting “G” (please note that it iscapital).
- Add the alias.
- Write and close the file.
- Install the .bashrc.
What does bash stand for?