Asked by: Andera Clarkautomotive off road vehicles
What is in a road flare?
Last Updated: 16th February, 2020
Click to see full answer.
Also to know is, what do flares on the road mean?
Flares are the universally understoodemergencydistress signal alerting oncoming traffic to alife-threateningsituation. Three flares create theequivalent "safety zone"as a police car with an activated lightbar.
Similarly, are road flares safe? Emergency Flare Safe Storage andHandlingProcedures Flares are a safe and stable itemtostore. The U.S. Departments of Transportationclassifiesflares as a flammable solid, but they are notparticularlysensitive to initiation.
Beside this, how do you put out a road flare?
- Have a location in mind to place the flare before youlightit.
- Locate the cap at one end of the flare.
- Look at the cap.
- Remove the cap, exposing the end of the flare.
- Hold the flare as far away from your body and faceaspossible.
- Light the flare much the same way as you would lightamatch.
Can you hold a flare in your hand?
Once you've found the right spot toputyour flare, remove the cap gently, holdtheflare away from your body and grasp the middleofthe flare itself. Make sure to hold the flarewiththe lighted side down when carrying it to avoiddrippinganything onto your hand or clothes.