Asked by: Lanfen Gmohlingscience physics
What is that silver stuff in a thermometer?
Last Updated: 15th June, 2020
Click to see full answer.
In this way, is the stuff inside thermometers dangerous?
Mercury can be toxic in certain situations.Mercury is not absorbed through intact skin or from a healthydigestive tract in amounts that would cause toxic effects.Therefore, harmful effects would not be expected fromswallowing or touching the small amount of mercury from a brokenthermometer.
Secondly, what's the red stuff in a thermometer? Silver liquid indicates that the thermometercontains mercury, while red liquid is alcohol to whichred coloring has been added.
Also asked, what is inside of a thermometer?
A thermometer is usually made up of a small,hollow glass tube. At the bottom of the tube is a bulb, which holdsa liquid such as alcohol or mercury. When there is an increase inheat, the liquid inside the bulb expands, pushing up intothe tube.
How do you know if a thermometer has mercury in it?
Mercury is a silver-white to gray substance.If your thermometer is filled with a red liquid, yourthermometer contains red dyed alcohol or mineral spirits andnot mercury.