Asked by: Abdeldjalil Lindgenstechnology and computing data storage and warehousing
What is the best way to format an external hard drive?
Last Updated: 12th June, 2020
- Plug your hard drive into your computer. Insert thedrive's USB cable into one of the thin, rectangular slots inyour computer's casing.
- Open Start. .
- Open File Explorer. .
- Click This PC.
- Click external hard drive's name.
- Click the Manage tab.
- Click Format.
- Click the "File System" box.
Click to see full answer.
Keeping this in view, what is the best format for external hard drive?
Choosing the Right Format for Your External HardDrive
- NTFS. If you own a Windows computer, the hard drive in yoursystem is probably running the NTFS format, which stands for NewTechnology File System.
- HFS+ As mentioned before, Macs can only read NTFS-formattedhard drives by default.
- How to Reformat in Mac.
- How to Reformat in Windows.
what happens when you format an external hard drive? When you format the hard drive or deletesome files manually, the files are actually not deleted. Theoperating system simply marks that area as deleted so that it canbe overwritten easily. The formatted external hard drivewill not show any files on your screen but they may still beavailable for use.
Keeping this in view, do you have to format an external hard drive?
Most external hard drives come formattedwith the FAT file system, which makes the drive compatiblewith multiple operating systems. As such, the drive isimmediately usable out of the box. However, if you do notintend to change the file system, a format is notnecessary.
How do I format an external hard drive on Windows 10?
To format an external drive in Windows:
- Plug your drive into the computer and, if necessary, into awall outlet.
- Open Windows Explorer, click the "Computer" section in thesidebar, and find your drive.
- Right-click on the drive and choose "Format."
- Under "File System," choose the file system you want touse.