Asked by: Nevena Borkowskymedical health first aid
What is the first aid treatment for a cut?
Last Updated: 21st June, 2020
Click to see full answer.
Then, what is the first aid treatment for a wound?
Cuts and scrapes: First aid
- Wash your hands. This helps avoid infection.
- Stop the bleeding. Minor cuts and scrapes usually stop bleeding on their own.
- Clean the wound. Rinse the wound with water.
- Apply an antibiotic or petroleum jelly.
- Cover the wound.
- Change the dressing.
- Get a tetanus shot.
- Watch for signs of infection.
Also Know, what to do if someone gets a deep cut? First Aid
- Wash your hands with soap or antibacterial cleanser to prevent infection.
- Then, wash the cut thoroughly with mild soap and water.
- Use direct pressure to stop the bleeding.
- Apply antibacterial ointment and a clean bandage that will not stick to the wound.
Likewise, what should I put on a cut?
A first aid antibiotic ointment (Bacitracin, Neosporin, Polysporin) can be applied to help prevent infection and keep the wound moist. Continued care to the wound is also important. Three times a day, wash the area gently with soap and water, apply an antibiotic ointment, and re-cover with a bandage.
How do you treat a wound at home?
Minor wounds can be treated at home. First, wash and disinfect the wound to remove all dirt and debris. Use direct pressure and elevation to control bleeding and swelling. When wrapping the wound, always use a sterile dressing or bandage.