Asked by: Xiuhua Borchardtpets reptiles
What kind of snakes are in Southern Illinois?
Last Updated: 31st May, 2020
- Copperhead. The copperhead is probably the most abundant venomous snake in Southern Illinois.
- Cottonmouth. Also referred to as the water moccasin, this Southern Illinois snake has a far smaller range than the copperhead.
- Timber Rattlesnake.
Click to see full answer.
Regarding this, what kind of snakes does Illinois have?
Common and Venomous Snakes of Illinois
- Southern Copperhead and Northern Copperhead (Highland Moccasin)
- Western Coppermouth (Water Moccasin)
- Timber Rattlesnake (Canebrake Rattlesnake)
- Eastern Massasauga.
Similarly, what poisonous snakes live in Illinois? Four native Illinois snake species are venomous: the copperhead, cottonmouth, timber rattlesnake and the massasauga. Venom is a toxin for subduing prey.
Also to know is, are there poisonous snakes in Southern Illinois?
"There are 39 species of snakes in Illinois," Guetersloh said. "Four of them are poisonous." Three of those species, the cottonmouth, timber rattlesnake and copperhead are found in Southern Illinois. On the poisonous snakes, they are about like a cat's eye.
Do water moccasins live in Illinois?
But really, cottonmouths (a.k.a. water moccasins) live only in extreme southern Illinois and, for the record, shouldn't be killed either. Northern water snakes, in contrast, can be found statewide.